Anna Bisceglia - Gondi, a Florentine dynasty and its palace
An official of the Superintendence for the Historical, Artistic and Ethno-anthropological Heritage of the Polo Museale Fiorentino, in charge of the Basilica of Santa Maria Novella and the district of the same name, he teaches Art History at the School of Advanced Training of the Opificio della Pietre Dure.
Anna Bisceglia accompanies us to the Chapel Gondi in Santa Maria Novella, another masterpiece by Giuliano da Sangallo that preserves and embraces, with its marble essentiality, the famous Crucifix by Brunelleschi, one of the very rare sculptural works by the architect of the dome of Santa Maria del Fiore, the only one in polychrome wood.
In the chapel, on Saint Luke's Day in 1279, the ceremony of the "Laying the foundation stone" of the entire basilica of Santa Maria Novella by the Dominican Cardinal Latino Malabranca Orsini, who came to Florence to mediate the disputes between the Guelphs and Ghibellines. From that day the chapel is dedicated to St. Luke. For this reason, every 18th October, the day dedicated to St. Luke, they Gondi have Holy Mass celebrated in their own Chapel, the first on the left looking at the altar.